Tuesday, April 21, 2009

That was a whole corndog!


2 days ago, my mate and I went to see Adventureland. When it was over he leaned across the armrest and said, “That’s not at all what I thought it was going to be.”

Without the benefit (or detriment, depending on your angle) of any flashy previews for this film, we weren’t sure what we were getting ourselves into. Paul was going on my word that it would be good, and I was going on Jeff Simon’s glowing review in the Buffalo News, a typically unreliable source as far as I’m concerned. But still, I had faith. And for once, praise God, I was not short changed in any way.

Adventureland is a really special movie. Instead of the bland teen-comedy my mate was clearly expecting, we were treated with a little piece of charming nostalgia.

The year is 1987, and James Brennan (Jesse Eisenberg) has just graduated from college. Financial difficulty forces James to put his plans to tour Europe on hold and get a summer job. The only place hiring, of course, is Adventureland, a crappy amusement park where James will learn more about life than his hefty Renaissance lit anthologies could ever teach him.

The reasons this movie works are many, but one biggie is the fact that it never resorts to irritating teen melodrama. It doesn’t pull any tasteless gags. It gives us young people in a way that they’re rarely portrayed on the big-screen: as real people. Not just poptarts looking to lose their virginity on prom night. But scared, vulnerable, vibrant kids who are figuring out life and like to smoke pot on occasion.

There is a sentimentality here that, thankfully, never gets too sticky-sweet. It’s the best sort of coming-of-age story. One that’s affectionate, delightful, and subtly funny. I left the theatre in very high spirits. And that is always a nice thing.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I just went to see it last night.. and I smeffing loved it!

Liz Coleman said...

wasn't it fantastic?! I miss you, how the hell are you?!!

Unknown said...

I'm good.. I miss you, too! I started reading Sedaris today purely from what you wrote and I can't put it down. My favorite line so far is "A bow tie announces to the world that you can no longer get an erection." I was reading at the Coffee Shop and got looks for laughing so hard too often. So we need to hang out soon, clearly. If I had your number I'd over you to come to Tilman today with me because it is so gorgeous outside.. maybe another day?