Wednesday, November 4, 2009

ahead by a century

Because she had the requisite bob haircut, a co-worker decided to go as a flapper for Halloween. Chatter about cigarette holders, swinging necklaces, and high heels ensued. I gushed about how much I love 20's fashion.

And then it occurred to me:

By the time I have grandchildren of my own, I won't be able to say things like "I dig '50's nostalgia" or "'20's fashion is resurfacing" (not that I'd ever want to say things like that).

As a member of a generation that essentially straddles 2 centuries - one foot planted firmly in the tumultuous 20th, another tiptoeing tenuously into a new slew of undefined decades - there will come a time that requires us to specify not only a decade but also a century in casual conversation. Our grandchildren will identify with their OWN 20's...a decade that will, I'm sure, diverge in every way possible from its 20th century counterpart. We'll have to disengage automatic associations and rewire the way we define the 30's, 40's...even my beloved 60's. With time, those decades will have to be permanently fastened to their "19__" prefix in order to make any sense.

It's strange, to me at least, that my generation will live through decades I associate with history textbooks and vintage art posters.

And since I opened this post with a reference to Halloween costumes, I feel like it's ok to jump back a bit and say that, after much deliberation (too much, really), we went with Team Zissou apparel. Easy, cheap, hip.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think of this often. I always want to know if the Greatest Generation thought of such things as well. Maybe because our generation is so consumed with over-stimuli and obsessed with trends that we are more concerned about this. But it might be generalizing because we tend to think of our ancestors as being without human mores that are present today. Anyways, don't know if I told you that I read Atlas Shrugged over the summer and loved it. I don't know if you remembered but you recommended the Fountainhead to me a couple years back and ever since I've been very gungho about reading Ayn Rand. Also just bought Anthem for a dollar at that used book store I told you about in East Aurora. You have to go with me next time.